Thursday, June 22, 2006

*Hamlet

Hamlet -William Shakespeare
It is oft argued that Shakespeare is a master of craft. Rereading Hamlet, though rich in wit and poetry, I am convinced not of his mastery of form, but that his plays are undying because of their topic. What, then, is the topic of Hamlet? (There certainly has been much concoction to the answer of this question. Nonetheless,) Passion. Love. Madness. Syncretism. Art. I don’t know. I don’t know. I don’t know. It drives a spike through my heart though.
I had the inkling that Dostoevsky attempted to write Hamlet’s reciprocal and came up with Crime and Punishment. I have many inklings. So have we all.
“Seems, madam? Nay, it is. I know not ‘seems.’”
“brevity is the soul of wit.”
“You cannot, sir, take from me anything that I will more willingly part withal—except my life, except my life, except my life.”
“I could be bounded in a nutshell and count myself a king of infinite space, were it not that I have bad dreams.”
“equivocation will undo us.”
“there’s a special providence in the fall of a sparrow.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home