Friday, March 03, 2006

*All in the Timing

All in the Timing - David Ives

I read this one to get back on a play-writing kick. Mr Foster put this on (or parts of it at least) at Lake Ridge our freshman or sophomore year...The only cast I can remember are Dimitri as Trotsky and Alex Venizalos as the guy trying to pick up a girl (what fictions the stage can bring). Upon reading this whole book it strikes me just how hard it is to write a short form play, I mean this guy is good and even a couple of these are duds. Maybe its because I have a lot of theater memories of watching people I know but, this is something so acted about watching someone tell a joke on stage, not that it has to be less funny for it, but it seems hard to imagine being lost in a joke. I almost prefer the skit stuff we did with honor patrol where character takes a back-seat to punch-line. It seems easier to suspend disbelief when watching a movie instead of real people actually talking in the same room at that instant. It seems more prudent to me to embrace that unreality, I mean the audience can give you such leeway with it. Two chairs side by side can easily be a car, you could jump across the planet with a change in backdrop, or even just a few explanatory lines.

more thoughts on theater to come (I know you can't wait...)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home